Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve kiting

Had a light day of sailing today. Winds were NW at 10 knots and less, but I managed to get some good sailing in. You don't need much wind to get going on ice. Top speed was 26 mph, which I won't even bother posting to Stormboarding.com.

The ice boats are out on Sandusky Bay already, though nobody was using them because of the light winds.

Which would you prefer to have been riding, the iceboats, or the rollercoasters? Thats Cedar Point in the background.

Once I was done for the day, I drove out on Rt. 6 scouting out other locations. Near town, only that triangle between Battery Park Marina and Cedar Point is well frozen. Much of the rest is rough, and I saw some spots where the ice looked REALLY thin. It turns out that West of the Edison Bridge is VERY good ice. I found a spot near Bay Harbor Marina to launch. I'm going to have to pay $5 for parking there, but its going to be worth it. I spoke to one of the ice fishermen, and he says the water is 4 feet deep in most places, and frozen about a foot deep already. Some places, the ice is resting on the bottom. Of course, you need to be careful near bridges and the mouths of rivers, but stay away from them, and its SAFE.



Sunday looks like its going to be excellent wind. Just hope the snow doesn't pile up too much before then. Looks like there's a system coming in now.

No comments:

Post a Comment